BEFORE YOU WERE BORN,
We Dreamed of you, We Imagined you, We Prayed for you.

NOW THAT YOU ARE HERE,
We Hope for you, We Love you, We Thank God for you.


Saturday, February 5, 2011

Childproofing

A couple of weeks ago I got word of a family from one of the online groups I belong to who received a referral from Ecuador. It was very refreshing to see that things are on the move again. But at the same time it brought on a little bit of anxiety. This waiting game is like something that I have never experienced before....its hard to explain all the emotions that one feels during this part of the journey. I am very thankful that I have had the distraction of a new job to keep me busy during this time. Hearing about a family that will soon travel and be united with their child made me realize that we are no where near being ready to travel to meet our child. There is so much to do! We could get a phone call tomorrow and then need to travel within 4 weeks. We are limited in a some of the preparation since we have not idea of the gender or age of our child yet. So I have been trying to think of all the things we could do to prepare for our little one.
One thing we need/can do is childproofing our house. So I'm putting this out there...What do we need to do? How do we go about doing this? I have been so busy reading about adoption topics that I have not educated myself on the general topics of raising a toddler.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

I would start with covering electrical outlets (plugs for open outlets and caps for outlets with cords coming out). It can take a few days to find all the outlets! We never did much with padding corners, etc. My other favorite is the Safety 1st C-shaped lock for door handles. If you have the kind-a long handle-we had in Michigan, they work well and stay on. I got them at Target. The rest of the babyproofing might just come with time and seeing where he/she goes on a regular basis. Sometimes just closing doors to rooms helps and is a simple fix. Hope that helps!